MEMBERS, FAITH & COVENANT
Click for 2014 Membership Packet
Articles Of Faith and Covenant
Adopted by the FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST In Bradford, Mass.,
From It’s First Organization, in 1682.
ARTICLES OF FAITH
1. There is one only living and true God, the Creator, Preserver and Governor of the Universe; a Being self-existent, independent and unchangeable; infinite in power, wisdom, holiness, justice, goodness and truth.
2. The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments were written by holy men as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, and are an infallible rule of faith and practice.
3. God exists as revealed in the Scriptures, in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one God, the same in substance, equal in power and glory.
4. God made all things for himself, and governs them according to the counsel of His own will; the principles and administration of His government being perfectly holy, just and good.
5. The first human pair were made upright, and constituted the general representatives of the whole human family; but they sinned against God by eating of the forbidden fruit, and in consequence of their apostasy all their descendants are alienated from God and opposed to his law, till renewed by the Holy Spirit.
6. The only Redeemer is the Lord Jesus Christ, who being God as well as man, has made atonement for sin, in view of which pardon is freely offered to all, and God can be just and the justifier of him that believeth in Jesus.
7. Repentance towards God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ is the immediate duty of every sinner; and they who are effectually called by the Holy Spirit, and accept of salvation, will be preserved to God’s eternal kingdom of glory in heaven.
8. Under the christian dispensation, the ordinances of the church are Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Believers and households are proper subjects for baptisms; and all who are truly penitent and believing in Christ are proper candidates for the Lord’s Supper.
9. There will be a general resurrection, both of the just and of the unjust, and a day of judgment in which the Lord Jesus Christ will award to every accountable creature according to his deeds. The wicked will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into life eternal.
In the presence of God, angels and men, you do now solemnly avouch the Lord Jehovah, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, to be your God, the object of your supreme love and your portion forever. You cordially acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ in all his mediatorial offices, as Prophet, Priest and King, to be your only Saviour; and the Holy Ghost to be your only sanctifier, comforter and guide. You humbly and cheerfully devote yourself to God in the everlasting covenant of his grace, consecrating all your powers and faculties, with all that you possess, to his service; promising through the assistance of his Spirit, that you will give diligent attendance on his word and ordinances, seek the honor and interest of his kingdom, and, henceforth, denying all ungodliness and every worldly lust, live soberly, righteously and godly in the world.
You also cordially join yourself to this church, as a true church of Christ, engaging to submit to its government and discipline, to strive earnestly for its purity, peace and enlargement, and to walk with its members in all charity, faithfulness and circumspection.
We, then, the members of this Church, receive you affectionately to our communion, promising you our prayers, our Christian sympathy and our love; engaging on our part also to walk with you in all becoming watchfulness, kindness and fidelity; hoping that you and we shall become more and more conformed to the example of our divine Master, till we come at last to the perfection of holiness in the kingdom of his glory. AMEN.